Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bookstore Trip & Comic Epitaphs

While perusing Pinterest, I've learned about a town in Wales called Hay-on-Wye.  It's also known as the town of books.  It has over 300 hundred bookstores!!  Just this little town full of books!  Katie and I took a road trip recently and spent the day in a small Minnesota town, shopping for used books.  There were at least three really great book shops (I can't imagine over 300!)  The above photo is Katie in the back of a shop that just kept on going.  When it seemed like you were at the back of the store, there'd be some little doorway and then here's this whole other room full of books.
This is the front of that same bookstore.
You know how there are stories or movies where characters get locked into some fun place overnight; like a department store or a candy store or a museum?  What would be the most fun place for you to be locked in overnight?  I guess I don't have to tell you mine - you're looking at it.  Especially if I had light and caffeine.  Here are some of my fun finds of that trip:
In the book of epitaphs, I learned that Benjamin Franklin used the pseudonym Poor Richard or Richard Saunders to write Poor Richard's Almanack.  I feel like I should have known this but...I didn't.  Interesting.
The Bat-Poet is a book illustrated by Maurice Sendak - one I'd never seen before.  And the blue book is full of fun-to-read-out-loud poems - try this one - then try it fast.  It's fun...try it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!