Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Baseball and a Loss

Have I mentioned how much I love going to a baseball game?  When I know there's a game, I look forward to it all day.  I don't watch baseball on TV.  I've nothing against it and I might like it...I just don't.  Most of what I watch is Little League, mostly, of course, John's team.  While waiting for John's practice to wrap up the other night, however, I found myself drawn into some other team's game, cheering them on.  It's such a great game!  John plays a good second base, or shortstop.  He's a good pitcher.  But he really likes playing outfield.  He is always moving, running in to back up bases, dancing right and left to cover the gaps in that expansion grassy outfield.  He stops the ball and gets it into the infield. 
I remember always preferring outfield when I played softball, very briefly, in my childhood.  But I liked it for very different reasons than John does; reasons that remain true today.  I like to see everything coming at me.  I like to be distanced enough to see it coming.  I need time to react, even if it's only a fraction of a second longer.  I'm a planner and I like to be able to see the whole picture.  Having only the baseline on either side of me gets me a little jumpy.  Being in the center of the diamond would freak me out.  And being behind the home plate, fenced in by the towering ump and knowing that everything is coming at you fast with every single pitch - I can't even imagine.
Here's John flying to first base. 
Oh, I love watching this game!
Changing gears...Mark texted me this morning with some sad news of a MN loss.  Vince Flynn, a Minnesota writer died today, of prostate cancer, at age 47.  My youngest brother introduced the Vince Flynn collection to Mark just this past winter and Mark has totally enjoyed the titles he's read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!