Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What I Like About You

We still had snow for Easter.  Then it rained.  Then it snowed a little.  Got real muddy.  And now, last night, it really snowed.  It's melting already but everything is covered in a thick blanket of white.  As we discussed this wonderful state we live in on the way to school, I explained how resilient it makes us, how tough are we Minnesotans.  I mean, it's just snow.  It's not when we want snow but it isn't a hurricane or a Tsunami or anything destructive (other than mental health).  So, we discussed why we like Minnesota.  And then The Romantics came on the radio singing What I Like About You.  Perfect.  That'll be my theme song for today. 
My super tall grass died while we were on spring break, so I cleaned out the jars and decided that April will be a month of fresh flowers.  I'm going to keep fresh flowers on my table all of this month.  It does't melt the snow but...it helps.  See, we learn to deal with it.  We find tools to get through.
I think I've mentioned this before, but during my late high school years and all through college, I worked at a media distribution center, typing library catalog cards for elementary school library books.  Could get kinda boring sometimes.  But the people were fun and one of the tools we invented to break up our day was reading the funniest/craziest/stupidest books aloud to each other during lunch break.  (I know, major nerdy but, hey...)   I remember one favorite series of ours, one that we would read everytime it came across our desks, was The Cut-Ups by James Marshall.

I checked one out from the library (looking for some comedy relief) and read it.  Hmmm.  It really isn't that funny.  And yet we used to read them, snort laughing.  Maybe being a college student, bored out of your mind, using funny voices to read a picture book to similar fellow college students during the middle of your summer break makes it more funny.  Probably.
Anyway, the table runner under the vase (above) is my most recent project - denim cut-up from a pairs of old jeans and stitched back together.  Here's another picture of it:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!